Introduction to VW Transporter mud flaps
When your Transporter moves, your type rotates and throws mud, water, debris, etc on your vehicle underparts as well as away from it. Here we will look at the best VW Transporter mud flaps to protect your vehicle.
Why install VW transporter mud flaps
A mud flap or splash guard is a small hanging cover that is fitted behind the tyre on the wheel arch to protect your VW transporter’s underparts.
The standard Transporter T4 T5 and T6 rarely come with them installed however it is a common aftermarket accessory that is fitted in the UK.
Transporter mud flaps also protects adjacent and trailing vehicles and pedestrians from flying debris. It is typically made from a flexible material such as rubber but a growing number of mud flaps are now made from strong plastic material.
Mud flaps are a great investment for your transporter. They protect your van’s underparts and sidebars from nicks, dents, and scratches. The small and inexpensive accessory saves your money and time in the future.
What makes the Best transporter mud flaps?
VW Transporter campers are used to explore the wilderness and the purpose of mud flaps is to help protect your transporter on any kind of terrain, in any condition.
Transporters are also frequently subjected to modifications and conversions, the aesthetics of the mud flaps is a significant consideration.
Following are some qualities which we think make the best transporter mud flaps:
- They should fit perfectly on the arch frame behind the tyres.
- They should be easy to clean
- They should be able to withstand treacherous terrains and harsh weather conditions.
- They should provide maximum coverage against the tyre without touching the ground or getting stuck in the tyre.
- They should come with complete fitting instructions and essential fixings.
- The fixings (screws etc) that come with the mud flaps should be rust-resistant. Galvanized screws are the best.
Transporter mud flap benefits
The best Transporter mud flaps will perform their basic function of guarding against the road debris, small stones, and mud.
They will help deflect excessive rainwater and loose gravel.
The following are some of the benefits of the best mud flaps.
- They are practical yet increase the style quotient of your Transporter.
- They give you hassle-free rides and ensure hassle-free maintenance.
- You don’t have to worry about your van underbody during snowy or rainy conditions.
- You can have a carefree ride on gravely or sandy roads.
- They protect sensitive parts of your van from grime and dirt.
- They are the best way to protect your sidebars if they are powder coated.
VW Transporter mud flap installation
Fitting a mud flap is an easy task if you have purchased the right one for your Transporter.
The following are the steps that can be carried out within minutes before your mud flaps are up and firm.
- From the fitting instructions and position chart provided with your mud flaps, mark the positions of the screws at the exact spots on the flaps. Depending on the size and shape, there could be 2-4 screws for every flap.
- Choose the drill bit according to the size of the provided screw.
- If the mud flaps are made of TPO plastic, immerse them in a warm water bucket so that they become supple and sit along perfectly in the arch.
- Turn the wheels so that you get enough space to work between the tyre and the wheel arch. If the space is still short for your tools, jack up and remove the wheel.
- Take the first mud flap and place it on the wheel arch. If they are not universal mud flaps, they might be separate for the front and the rear tyres.
- Adjust and position your flap with the screw hole marks aligned to the mounting position. Make sure the edges fit tight and take the shape of your frame, you don’t want debris getting stuck behind them causing rust.
- Use a spirit level to ensure that the flap is perfectly parallel to the ground
- Drill the holes through the marks on the flap into the arch.
- Screw the screws
- Repeat the process for the other three mud flaps.
VW T4 mud flaps
Let’s look at two of them
The best part about purchasing this item is that the manufacturer has provided a compatibility check feature on the selling page. You can select your exact model from the drop-down lists and confirm if they will fit.
These deluxe molded splash guards are solid protection for your T4’s lower body and gel well with its styling while guarding against mud, road debris, small stones, etc.
For a custom fit, they are even molded to the contours of the vehicle. They give a tougher and more aggressive look and a nice rally feel to your vehicle.
However, we will not call them value for money as they are a bit expensive for a China-made product.
These are universal mud flaps with a striking blue Volkswagen logo. They come in sets of two and are the same for the rear and front.
They can fit all VW models including cars. Manufactured in Ireland, they have high-quality vinyl printing on them and come with a complete set of screws.
Go for them to protect your undercarriage from scratches, nicks, and dents. But since they are universal guards, do not expect a seamless integration.
VW T5 mud flaps
Let’s look at two of them
JustKampers is an established name in Camper accessories and these are a robust set of four mud flaps that provide excellent fitment for T5. These are supplied with all fixings required to install and their website has the fitting instructions.
They look like genuine Volkswagen products and are an exact replacement for the standard ones.
Just lookout for the bolting plate that may sometimes not line up properly. Also, they are suited for the barn door and not tailgate models.
VW Transporter T5 Caravelle Multivan 2004~2015 Guards
These are specifically meant for T5. Lightweight and easy to assemble, these TPO plastic guards are molded to the contours of your transporter.
They aren’t too expensive and unlike some universal flaps, can seamlessly blend with your van like the factory fitted guards since they are model specific.
VW T6 mud flaps
Let’s look at two of them
XUKEY Set Mud Flaps For Transporter Caravelle T6 Multivan Kombi
Xukey specializes in transporter accessories and these special mud flaps are a perfect guard for your T6. They are separate pairs for front and rear mud flaps, hence an excellent fitment.
These stylish mud flaps are lifesavers for your van’s bodywork and sidebars. The fixings are fully galvanized and rustproof.
These are made from a high grade TPO plastic which is rigid and gives a good key for painting if desired.
They are universal splash guards for both the front and rear of your T6. The deluxe molded flaps are made from TPO plastic and offer good protection for your T6’s lower body.
They are rigid and can hold any paint well should you decide to color them along your van’s theme.